Master of Science by Coursework in Medical Education (Part-time)
1. The Course shall be under the supervision of the Academic Committee of the Department of Education.
2. Candidates must follow a course of instruction for six terms specializing in Medical Education. This course is available on a part-time basis only.
3. Candidates are required to submit two written assignments of no more than 5,000 words each. For a module where it would be appropriate, if an assignment involves substantial statistical analysis, the word count may be reduced to no more than 2,500 words. The details of the assessment requirements for each paper will be provided in the Course Handbook. Assignments must be uploaded to the University approved online assessment platform. Assignment 1 must be uploaded by noon on Tuesday of week 6 of Hilary term of the first year and assignment 2 by noon on Tuesday of week 9 of Trinity term of the first year.
4. Candidates are required to submit a dissertation of 15,000 – 20,000 words. The subject and title selected by the candidate in consultation with their supervisor must be approved by the Course Director at a time set out in the Course Handbook.
5. The dissertation must be uploaded to the University approved online assessment platform not later than noon on the third Thursday in September in the final year of the course.
6. If a candidate receives a failing mark for either of the assignments, they may resubmit the assessment on one further occasion within four weeks of publication of the fail, on a date to be specified by the Chair of Examiners. If a candidate fails the dissertation, they may resubmit the dissertation one further time on the next occasion when this is examined.
7. Candidates may also be required to attend an oral examination. The oral examination will normally be on the candidate’s dissertation.
Programme of study:
- Curriculum and pedagogy
- Assessment issues and practices
- Educational theory and philosophy
- Work-based learning and skill development
- Educational research methods