Preliminary Examination in History and Economics
Differences from 2017/18 to 2022/23
1. The Preliminary Examination in History and Economics shall be under the joint supervision of the Divisional Board of Social Sciences, and the Board of the Faculty of History and shall consist of such subjects as they shall jointly by regulation prescribe.
2. The lists of specific papers available will be published by the two Boards at the dates defined in the regulations for the Preliminary Examinations in History and in Politics, Philosophy and Economics.
Every candidate shall offer four papers, as follows:
1. Introductory Economics, as specified for the Preliminary Examination in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics.
&World History: any one of the periods specified for the Preliminary Examination in History.
3. Optional Subject: any one of an approved list of subjects, as specified for the Preliminary Examination in History.
or Industrialization in Britain and France 1750-1870, which is available only for candidates for this examination.
4. One of the following subjects, as specified for the Preliminary Examination in History:
(a) Approaches to History;
(b) Historiography: Tacitus to Weber;
(c) Foreign Texts
; (d) Quantification in History.
Candidates who fail one or more of papers 1, 2, 3, or 4 above may resit that paper or papers at a subsequent examination.